Dentist in Irvine explains why teeth whitening is important and offers whitening tips
A bright, white smile is desired by many patients. However, the natural level of whiteness varies from person to person. For most people, the teeth gradually yellow over time. Whitening the teeth is a simple way to enhance your smile and make a good first impression. Located in Irvine, Dr. David Son explains why teeth whitening is important for the health and beauty of your smile.
The importance of teeth whitening
Yellowed teeth are not always a sign of poor oral hygiene. Certain factors in your lifestyle can contribute to darkened or stained teeth. Tomato-based foods, coffee, tea, wine, and tobacco are common stain-causing products. Yellowing can also be caused by the aging process, certain medications, too much fluoride, smoking, and a build-up of plaque or tartar.
Choosing to improve your smile is a personal choice. For many patients, teeth whitening is a simple way to boost self-esteem and to achieve a beautiful smile. Common reasons for whitening the teeth include:
- Preparing for an important event
- Achieving a more youthful appearance
- Improving the teeth after years of aging and wear
- Treating surface stains
- Addressing blemishes sustained in an accident
- Achieving the smile, you deserve
Deciding to whiten your teeth is a step toward a healthier smile. Teeth that are white may not always be healthy. Visiting your dentist for a professional cleaning first allows your dental team to assess your teeth for problems. This keeps your mouth healthy and enables the dentist to determine if there are any issues that may interfere with the whitening process.
Not all teeth whitening treatments are created equal. Professional whitening with your dentist is safe and effective. Although over-the-counter products are readily available, they may be abrasive or ineffective. The quality of commercially available products is not the same as the prescription strength whitening agents used by dental professionals. Our practice offers customized whitening trays, so the product fits your teeth snugly and allows you to whiten at your convenience. As a holistic dentist, Dr. Son utilizes the safest materials and techniques for healthy cosmetic dentistry.
Whitening tips for successful treatment
Teeth whitening is an effective way to transform your smile. Under the guidance of a dental professional, patients can safely and efficiently brighten their smiles. For patients searching for ways to prolong and make the most of their whitening treatments, we offer a number of tips.
Remember the following tips to keep your mouth healthy and to preserve your newly whitened teeth.
- Have your teeth professionally cleaned first to remove built-up plaque. As plaque and tartar build up on the teeth, a yellow coating or surface stains can appear. Professional deep cleaning with your dental hygienist involves special instruments to remove tartar and clean the hard-to-reach areas. The whitening agent is more easily absorbed by freshly cleaned teeth. This ensures a more effective treatment.
- Choose professional whitening methods. The at-home trays provided by Dr. Son achieve safe, effective results. The high-quality whitening agent produces dramatic whitening.
- Avoid foods and drinks that cause staining. Our food and drink choices can discolor our teeth. Coffee, tea, red wine, and tomato sauce are known for causing discoloration. Teeth whitening treatments make your teeth susceptible to new stains. If possible, avoid or minimize the use of these stain-causing items for a couple of days following your whitening treatment.
- Do maintenance treatments. Maintaining your smile takes work. Touch up treatments may be done as Fneeded depending on how much your regular diet and lifestyle habits cause staining.
- Follow good oral health habits. Brushing helps remove stains, bacteria, and buildup from your teeth. Flossing regularly removes food particles and buildup from between the teeth.
- Use a straw. Drink dark liquids through a straw to keep stains off your teeth. Also, finish the contents in a single sitting rather than sipping them throughout the day. The less time a substance sits in your mouth, the better it is for the health and whiteness of your teeth.
- Rinse your teeth. After eating or drinking substances that may stain the teeth, rinse your mouth with water to help maintain your smile.