Patients in Irvine ask, “What are the advantages of biocompatible ceramic dental implants?”
The pieces of the mouth are designed to function together as a unit. Losing a tooth throws off that natural balance and causes disorder in the mouth. When a tooth is lost, the adjacent teeth may shift. Gum and bone health may suffer. Bacteria and food particles have new places to hide. Your overall smile changes with tooth loss. A dental implant can be used to mimic the tooth root, replace the missing tooth, and keep the smile healthy. Located in Irvine, Dr. David Son explains the advantages of ceramic dental implants.
What are dental implants?
Essentially a small post or cylinder made of a biocompatible material, a dental implant replaces a missing tooth. The implant is precisely positioned in place of the missing tooth. The bone and tissues heal around the implant securing a sturdy, long-lasting dental restoration. A crown is placed on top of the implant to complete the process.
An implant topped with a ceramic crown appears and functions as a natural tooth. The implant is secured in the jaw mimicking a tooth root and stimulating the jaw. The entire restoration is sturdy. It functions and withstands the pressure of a natural tooth. Patients can eat and speak naturally. Aesthetically speaking, the smile is restored. Following good oral habits and visiting the dentist regularly extends the lifespan of the implant.
Implants are versatile. They can be used to replace a single tooth or multiple teeth. They are cost-effective, long-lasting dental restorations. The implant placement in the jaw keeps the bone healthy and keeps the teeth from shifting. This maintains the patient’s youthful appearance and keeps the bone from deteriorating.
Biocompatible ceramic implants
The teeth have roots and crowns. The roots are below the gumline and are not visible. The crowns sit above and are visible. Dental implants mimic this natural structure of the tooth for optimal health. The implant itself mimics the root. An abutment attaches to the implant and secures the crown on top. Titanium and zirconia implants are available. For most tooth replacement needs, Dr. Son recommends zirconia implants.
Zirconia implants are made of a biocompatible ceramic. They are metal-free and safe for patient use. The ceramic material is accepted by the body and integrates with the bone and tissues. Ceramic implants do not cause gum irritation or negative reactions. They are easy to clean and accumulate less dental plaque than metal implants.
Zirconia implants are white, so they closely resemble the color of natural teeth. When patients have receding gums, the root or implant may be noticeable. If this occurs with ceramic implants, only white shows through and looks like a tooth. Metal implants would show through as gray.
Advantages of ceramic dental implants
Dr. Son looks at and treats each patient individually to determine the best course of action. The safety of zirconia implants often makes them the preferred choice to replace missing teeth. Additional advantages of ceramic implants include the following:
- Biocompatible – The ceramic material is easily accepted by the body. The implant integrates with the bone and gums without causing irritation or negative side effects.
- Sustainable – In general, implants are long-lasting restorations. However, with zirconia implants, there is less plaque buildup which reduces the risk of problems or disease.
- Aesthetically pleasing – Ceramic is white. The material is a closer match to tooth enamel than the gray of metal implants. With zirconia implants, patients do not have to worry about an unnatural color showing through the gums.
- Metal-free – Ceramic implants do not conduct electricity or interfere with the body’s natural energies.
- Durable – Zirconia implants are sturdy. They can withstand the functions of a natural tooth.
- Successful – Zirconia implants have a high rate of success and survival. When patients use proper oral care, implants can last a lifetime and protect the health of the jaw.
Each patient is unique and needs individualized treatment. Dr. Son takes precise care to ensure the procedures and materials used are appropriate for the patient’s needs. Since incompatible materials can lead to health problems, material testing is performed to ensure the materials used are best suited for each patient.