Patients find safe removal of amalgam fillings in Irvine, CA
The dangers of mercury are well known. With concerns about mercury toxicity, patients and dentists are turning to mercury safe practices. This includes the request for the removal of amalgam fillings. Located in Irvine, CA, Dr. David Son follows specific protocols for safe mercury removal to ensure the safety of patients and the dental staff. Dr. Son focuses on the health of the mouth as well as the health of the overall patient.
The dangers of mercuryFor years, dental practices have used amalgam to restore decayed teeth. Amalgam is a mixture of metals that may contain tin, silver, mercury, and copper. Mercury binds the metals forming a strong, durable material. Although the amalgam fillings are often less expensive than alternatives, it comes at a cost to your health. Mercury is toxic, the fillings can break or damage the tooth, and aesthetically, the tooth looks discolored.
Mercury safe removal practicesWhen requested, patients may undergo mercury filling removal. The removal of mercury fillings is often a cost effective choice that benefits patient health. Fillings may be removed for the following reasons:
- Damage to the filling or tooth has occurred due to fracture or decay.
- The patient has concerns about mercury vapors emitted by the amalgam filling.
- Tooth-colored fillings are biocompatible, durable, long-lasting, and aesthetically pleasing.
- State-of-the-art equipment is utilized to safely ventilate and remove airborne vapor. A dental dam is used to isolate teeth.
- A liquid metal finder is sprayed into the mouth to locate all possible mercury leaks.
- The patient wears an oxygen mask throughout the procedure to ensure he/she is only breathing in medical grade oxygen.
- Dental personnel wear protective gear.
Irvine area patients who are interested in visiting a mercury free dentist often have many questions to ask regarding this ...